New month, new goals. It’s hard to believe we’re halfway through the year already. I’m feeling a lot better about readjusting to my kiddo being home for the summer. We spent three days up at my BFF’s house last week and it was so therapeutic. After our kids were in bed I poured out all my anxieties and fears about freelancing to her and she proceeded to basically solved all my problems over the next hour of chatting! Obviously I’m exaggerating, but she did give me some amazing advice and came up with an awesome four year plan for my long term goals. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or stressed, there’s nothing like a good chat with a best friend! Anywho, let’s move on to the goals, shall we?
June Goal Wrap-Up
1. Refine my work schedule. Success! Now to implement it haha. But I have re-worked my time and priorities to still have time for art, even though it’s less time than during the school year. It still needs some tweaking, but so far, so good.
2. Reach out locally about art jobs. Ugh. I still did not do this. At all. I don’t know how to conquer this fear. I have no problem showing my art online because of that beautiful internet barrier. But having to go IN PERSON and SPEAK TO PEOPLE about myself and my art. *runs and hides*
3. Apply for more freelance work. Nope. Found some leads of projects I like, but didn’t actually apply. Given the adjusted summer schedule, I may wait until fall and just focus on commissions for now? Undecided on that one.
4. Continue my Zodiac portraits series and start roughs of my new series. Success! I’ve got two more Zodiac pieces ready to be colored, and I finished the first piece of my new series. Post about that coming soon!
5. Take some Skillshare courses. Success! In total I took four classes in June, about various art/freelance topics. I’m really loving Skillshare!
3/5 is not too shabby I suppose. As I mentioned, I’m still not sure how much freelance work I want to pursue over summer due to lack of time for actual working. I think I need to look into local stuff and focus on commissions for now. Onto July goals!
1. Reach out locally about art jobs. Yup. Here it is again. I guess I’m hoping the act of continually writing this in my goals list will make it happen.
2. Set aside 20 minutes each day for sketching. I’m quite shit about making time to sketch. I draw often, but it’s usually prep for finished pieces. I need to work on loose sketching more and I can certainly manage 20 minutes a day.
3. Finish another Zodiac portrait. I’ve got two ready to go that just need color; I want one done by the end of the month.
4. Brainstorm ideas for Patreon. Patreon is one of those things I’ve gone back and forth about for awhile. I’m still not 100% sure if I want to set one up, but I definitely need a game plan if I’m going to do so.
I’m keeping it to just four goals this month! With July being one of our busiest months of the year (second only to December) so I don’t want to feel overwhelmed.
What are your July goals?